Post Pregnancy Tips to Lose Weight Efficiently
Hello, Young Mothers! Welcome to the happy nappy world of motherhood. Your baby has now changed your whole life for good, and you are basking in its glory. But somewhere in the corner of your heart, you are also worried about the kilos of weight gained during pregnancy. Post pregnancy weight loss is a struggle for all moms including celebrities.
When a renowned Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty Kundra delivered her son Viaan, she compared herself to a baby elephant. She had put on oodles of kilos post pregnancy. But today, you will be amazed to see how she has transformed herself into a fitness enthusiast, flaunting svelte figure and has become a role model for other young moms. Not only her, but other well-known celebrities like Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Kareena Kapoor Khan have succeeded in losing kilos of weight after their childbirth and are looking stunning.
Well, in this blog I will discuss few tips and suggestions for all those young moms to lose weight gradually and lead a healthy life. After all young moms have to match to the energy level of their naughty little ones. So the idea is to begin the mission at the right time and follow in the correct manner.
Give your body priority and sufficient time to recuperate
The very first thought that comes to the mind of a young mother is “Gosh, I have become so fat. How will I get back in shape? When can I fit in my favourite jeans? How and when to start exercising?
Relax. Do not be in a hurry to start crash dieting and vigorous exercises. In case of normal delivery, you can begin with mild forms of exercise after a week or ten days post delivery. However, if you had a C-section, then it is advisable to begin exercise after a month or so.
You have to adjust your timings with that of your baby’s routine. Rest when the baby’s asleep and be active when your baby wants you. The first few days of delivery are very crucial to strike a bond with your newborn. So the right thing at the moment is to spend most of your time with your baby and get complete rest for the body to heal.
Get yourself massaged at least for four months
It is common in India to give a massage to the baby and the mother after delivery. Trust me it is very beneficial to your body. The oil massage relaxes and tones your muscles and improves blood circulation. If you had a C-section, it is still recommended to take the massage on the back and limbs. You needn’t buy some fancy oil for this purpose. Let me share a recipe for preparing massage oil at home which is not only pocket-friendly but also contains healing properties.
- Take one litre of coconut oil. Add one clove and one garlic pod and boil till the garlic turns brown. Take care not to burn it. Let it cool and fill it in a bottle or can. Your massage oil is ready for use.
Breastfeeding can be the best calorie burner
Yes, it is not a myth but a fact. Breastfeeding is like a killer workout and burns 500 calories per day. There is no need to perform any form of aerobic exercise till you breastfeed your baby as it naturally melts the fat around your abdomen making you look much slimmer. So nurse your baby and burn calories at a much faster rate.
Also, breastfeeding has multiple benefits. It not only provides essential nutrients to the baby for vital progress but also develops the beautiful bond between mother and child.
Consider a healthy diet to curb hunger pangs
If you are a nursing your child, the hunger pangs will drive you crazy. This is very tricky as you are tempted to eat whatever catches your eye, be it chocolates, biscuits, mithai and other fried food. It is recommended to prepare a healthy meal before nursing your baby. I would like to share a recipe that I enjoyed when I nursed my baby.
- In a saucepan, add 4 tablespoon rava and 2 cups of water. Simmer on low fire till the rava gets cooked. Add 2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt. Put off the fire. In a bowl take how much quantity you require, add hot milk and enjoy the tasty rava porridge. It is very filling, nutritious and relieves constipation which is the common ailment among young mothers. You can refrigerate the leftover porridge and consume it piping hot whenever you have nursed your baby.
Adopt a healthy weight loss diet and stick to it
It is indeed essential to adopt a natural weight loss plan to increase your metabolism and stem cravings of unwanted food. You can adopt any few of the following to aid weight loss.
- Consume lime and honey in the morning for few weeks as it is a great weight loss remedy.
- Drinking green tea twice a day is highly recommended to lose belly fat.
- Snack on low-calorie foods like carrots, celery and cucumbers.
- Drink plenty of water and remain hydrated throughout the day.
- Sipping warm water after every meal is a foolproof guaranty of weight loss.
Be cautious of regaining weight during the weaning period
By the time your baby is around 6 months old, he or she is introduced to top feed including semi-solids. This implies that you will be nursing your baby less often and as you reduce breastfeeding, you may regain the weight lost during nursing. This is a very crucial period for young mothers and it is very necessary to consider a balanced diet if one wants to remain slim and fit.
- Your first meal of the day-BREAKFAST should be hearty and packed with energy. Have oats with brown bread OR steamed idlis with coconut chutney along with a glass of milk as calcium is vital for your body.
- LUNCH can be daal and brown rice OR rotis with a moderate amount of ghee with a vegetable of your choice.
- DINNER should be simple and easy to digest so go for a bowl of boiled vegetables and rotis. You can also have a soup with chicken or vegetable stock.
- For DESSERTS, have a bowl of fruit custard or a simple fruit salad with jelly.
Do not be lazy, follow a regular exercise regimen
After delivery, there is a gap in your abdominal muscles which usually disappear within four to eight weeks. Do consult your gynaecologist as to when can you begin exercises to reduce belly fat. You can also wrap a steam belt around your waist or wear a corset for few hours. Few tips to reduce belly fat post pregnancy may include the following.
- Stretching your limbs and reaching your hands to touch the toes is one of the simple exercises to apply pressure on your belly.
- An exercise ball is also a great method for the tummy tuck.
- Performing Pilates and yoga improves your flexibility and burns abdomen fat.
- Swirling around a hula-hoop is a great way to shape your waist.
- Swimming is one of the best exercises to enhance the overall fitness of the body.
- Brisk walking goes a long way to cut stubborn fat from your belly.
- Carry your baby and go for short walks. This will burn calories much faster than using a pram or a stroller.
Enjoy the company of other moms
Strike a chord with other mothers as it can do wonders for you especially a mom of one or two children. Sharing views and thoughts of wisdom from other mothers can prove handy. You can also form a group of young moms and join a yoga class or a gymnasium.
Socializing with young moms will make you feel comfortable as they are facing the same predicament as you. So go on, do not be a couch potato and enjoy your social life.
Weight loss should not be the only goalpost pregnancy. It is essential to adopt a positive attitude more than the efforts of weight loss. You should be confident facing yourself in the mirror first. All other attempts will fall back in line, and you will reach your cherished goal happily.
Hope you agree with the tips and suggestion given in this blog. Please do suggest other ways or diet charts that will facilitate fat burning post pregnancy. It will be of great help to our other young mothers to regain their figure.